This week’s SMILE GAME BUILDER tutorial, 65: Battles (Part 1) – Basics, is up on YouTube. It’s just a simple setup for future battle tutorials evolving into something more complex.
Continuation of the Battles Series
While I won’t be continuing this series with back-to-back tutorials, over time this tutorial will be expanded upon, starting with basics and moving onto something more advanced.
I’ll intersperse with other tutorials to break it up as inspiration strikes.
SMILE GAME BUILDER has a new update! I will do a tutorial or livestream (probably the latter) on Friday. We’ll continue game development the Tutoria maps created for the Campsite tutorials, utilising the new updates, including some tips and tricks.
- You can now create events that operate under specified conditions during battles. (Battle Events)
- You can change equipment forcibly. (Event Panel: Change Equipment)
- You can leave memos in event sheets. (Event Panel: Note)
- You can change battle damage formulas. (Weapons and Skills)
- You can specify motions when characters use their skills.
- You can call common events when characters use their skills.
- You can specify skills for item effects.
- You can call common events when characters use items.
- You can change the window image in the battles.
- You can use 8 directions for 2D animation.
- You can edit colors, bold and italic for messages and dialogues.
- You can display strings as images on the screen.
- We’ve fixed an error: sometimes it doesn’t import FBX models properly, when you use the automatic optimize importing.
- We’ve fixed an error: even if you make items of "Recover from KO" and "Recover HP", you can not use it unless a member is in the state of KO.
- We’ve fixed an error: it does not remember the last skill used during the battle.
- We’ve fixed an error: if the data size of Data-pack exceeds 1GB, an exception error of "system out of memory exception" occurs when launching the "Export Public Game File".
- We’ve fixed an error: an error occurs when pasting maps between projects with different terrain materials.
- We’ve fixed an error: some event panels are not completed when composing complex events.
- We’ve fixed an error: the images of the East and the West on the compass common event were opposite.
The Smile Game Builder Tutorial on waypoints, Waypoints Revisited: Resurrect at Set Waypoints, is now up.
You can set up a waypoint system where, after you die in battle, you’ll resurrect at a "stored" waypoint location. And you can register any waypoints you find on a wall map!
The methods for returning to waypoints after defeat in battles only applies to events. It can’t be used with 3D Battles with respawning monsters placed in Map Settings.
This is an overview tutorial on Smile Game Builder‘s Battle System. Much of this is straightforward, but I’ve also included some of my own thoughts and insights on battles as a whole and how everything is put together.
The topics covered are:
Otherworld SGB: Through the Veil
As mentioned in the video, this is the first look at my project Otherworld: Through the Veil for SGB. This will only be a short game before I move onto the next project I have in mind.
Jacob’s 3D Art
Also shown in the video are Jacob Mann’s Alien and Drone characters, so I’d like to give him a shout here. He’s currently working on a modular dungeon for Smile Game Builder, which looks absolutely awesome!
The next tutorials will go through some of the older ones and update them with better techniques, such as doors, and finishing the multi-part ones I did. I’m not sure the order yet, but there are at least three. That said, this may change depending on suggestions and inspiration.
This tutorial is mainly for combat, but it includes answers to some of the FAQs and how-to’s to some comments I received.
Action Battle System in SGB
As mentioned in the video, here’s the link to the ABS Battle System.
Get Jacob’s Assets
You can also obtain the Alien and Drone characters I used in this video from Jacob’s 3D Art, where there’s a free download of his SGB assets and more.
This tutorial showcases some of the BIG new features for Smile Game Builder Version 22.214.171.124 (updated 23 December, 2016), including the long-awaited 3D Battle! Continue reading “Smile Game Builder Tutorial #18:
New Features Showcase – 3D Battle, Player Direction & VR”